In addition to certificates, many special awards are given by various groups, including savings bonds, plaques, and trophies. The following is a tentative list of awards (**awards that require advance registration): You must fill out the SPONSORED AWARD section on the registration form to be elegible for the (**) awards.
ASHLAND UNIVERSITY GRANT
- Students who receive superior ratings will receive a $1000 annually renewable scholarship to attend Ashland University. This is for Juniors and Seniors.
- Most Superiors (high school level)
- Most Superiors (junior high level)
- Most Superiors (elementary level)
- Highest Percent of Superiors (high school level)
- Highest Percent of Superiors (junior high level)
- Highest Percent of Superiors (elementary level)
MOHICAN DISTRICT OUSTANDING SCHOOL AWARD CRITERIA
- Awarded to the school with the most superior ratings and the school with the highest percentage of superiors.
- A school must have at least 4 entries.
- A "no show" will disqualify a school unless the Council has been notified prior to 8:00 a.m. the day of the District Science Day (call 419-207-6780). If a student must drop out of the science fair prior to the morning of the science fair, also call 419-207-6780.
**OUTSTANDING STUDENT AWARDS
- Four Outstanding Student Awards will be given at the Mohican District Science Day. In order to qualify for this, the student must submit a copy of their research paper with their registration.
- The Mohican District Council is limiting the number of Outstanding Student entries to four per school. Grades 9 through 12 will be considered.
- The Council will pay the State Science Day entry fee for the four Outstanding students.
Student is to pay State registration on line, then request reimbursement from us.
**Governor's Thomas Edison Awards for Excellence in STEM Education
- STEM Education is both the mastery and integration of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics for all PK-12 students. It incorporates scientific inquiry and technological design through student-focused, project-based curricula to develop skills of communication, teamwork/collaboration, creativity/innovation, critical thinking, and problem solving.
- Advanced or Alternative Energy
- Advanced Materials
- Agriculture and Food Technology
- Biotechnology and Biomedical technologies
- Environmental Sciences
- Information Technology
- Given by Barbasol for research in the area of product safety or product effectiveness; $500.00 check.
**GEOLOGY CLUB OF ASHLAND UNIVERSITY
- Awarded to projects in the areas of earth and space science and environmental science. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards are available.
**OHIO WATER ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATION (OWEA)
- $75.00 Gift Card to Borders/Barnes & Noble & a Plaque, awarded to projects in the areas of waste treatment and disposal.
U.S. NAVY/MARINE AWARDS
- Navy/Marine Corps Distinguished Achievement Award, which includes an invitation to compete in the Naval Nationals in Washington, D.C. Students in grades 9 through 12 are eligible.
**CLEVELAND METROPARKS ZOO
- Awarded to the best project in Zoology. Four tickets for Zoo admission.
US ARMY AWARDS FOR SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
- Awarded to projects in any area of science and engineering for Students grades 9-12.
- Two $250.00 Savings Bonds awarded to projects in the areas of biochemistry and toxicology.
- $100.00 Savings Bond awarded by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Ashland University to the best interdisciplinary project.
**OHIO SOYBEAN BIOSCIENCE
- 3-$100.00 awards for best projects in the area of agriculture biosciences, bioresources, biopolymers, bioproducts, and/or biofuels using soybeans.
Grades 7-12. Sponsored by The Ohio Soybean Council Foundation.
**CORNERSTONE COUNSELING OF ASHLAND
- Awarded to best project in Behavioral Science. Award plaque and Ashland University Book Store gift certificate.