|EFFECTIVE USE OF SCIENTIFIC METHOD||10-9||8-7-6||5-4-3||2-1|
|CLARITY OF EXPRESSION||10-9||8-7-6||5-4-3||2-1|
|ORIGINALITY & CREATIVITY||10-9||8-7-6||5-4-3||2-1|
|TEAMWORK (for teams only)||10-9||8-7-6||5-4-3||2-1|
|*There is no "Satisfactory" rating given at State Science Day.|
Minimum number of points needed for each rating:
Individual: Superior 36, Excellent 24, Good 12, Satisfactory 4
Team: Superior 45, Excellent 30, Good 15, Satisfactory 5
To receive a superior award at local, district, or state science days, the student shall have an abstract and a written report which documents that the student has searched relevant literature, stated a question and/or tested a hypothesis, collected and analyzed data, and drawn conclusions. An individual project shall receive a minimum of 36 points based on the four criteria of (1) knowledge achieved, (2) effective use of scientific method, (3) clarity of expression, and (4) originality and creativity. A team project (with a maximum of three students) shall receive a minimum of 45 points based on the five criteria of (1) knowledge achieved, (2) effective use of scientific method, (3) clarity of expression, (4) originality and creativity, and (5) teamwork.
Procedure for Rejudging at All District and State Science Days
Two judges will evaluate each project for The Ohio Academy of Science ratings. If each judge grants a total score within any one rating category (Superior, Excellent, or Good), that specific rating (Superior, Excellent, or Good) will be granted to the students and no rejudging is permitted. Rejudging is automatic and is permissible ONLY IF ALL THREE of the following conditions apply:
- The judges' final ratings are in different categories;
- The average of the judges' scores is in the lower category; and
- The judges differ in their total points by more than five points
Eligibility for State Science Day
- Seventy Three (73) students will be eligible to attend the State Science Fair this year.
- Students in grades 7-12 shall be admitted in this sequence:
40 points grades 12 through 7
39 points grades 12 through 7
38 points grades 12 through 7
37 points grades 12 through 7
36 points grades 12 through 7
- A student with a project involving non-human vertebrates, including observation projects, will be accepted for competition at the State Science Day only if a copy of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) form is attached to the student's State Science Day registration card.